Saturday, January 16, 2010

Go the Extra Mile for a Customer

So many companies these days are so quick to point fingers or end communication with you if/when they hear that something doesn't benefit them or directly involve them. I think that is why so many people are turned off when dealing with some larger companies. So I wanted to share a story with you about a customer of ours.

This woman has a computer and has been very frustrated lately with it. She became a customer of ours a little over a month ago. We logged in and set it up with all the software and fixed it up so it was performing at its peak performance level (but you will soon hear why that level was not acceptable).

She called me a day after we cleaned up what was a mess of a computer. There was virus protection already installed on it, but that was the extent of their maintenance before engaging New England PC Services. In any case, she called me and said, "the computer is running horribly". Well, I knew for a fact that it had nothing to do with what we did. As a matter of fact, we improved the current state of her computer. So I was scratching my head and wondering what was wrong. I connected to her computer remotely and sure as heck, she was right. It was so slow. But again, "not my problem". That said, she is a customer of ours and rather than saying "You're on your own....", I spent 30 minutes on the phone with her asking her questions and trying to diagnose this issue with her (and not charging her anything for it). I heard a buzzing noise. I asked her if that was her computer making that noise. She said yes. I knew then what was wrong. Her hard drive was failing and hanging up the machine. I told her that we could come and install a new hard drive for her, but that she could save money if she brought it to a reputable retail store and asked them to Ghost her drive and install a new one with all the data and programs, etc. from her original drive.

She called me the next day. The computer store she brought it to, installed a new hard drive, but did not install any of the programs, nor any of the files that she had. So, if it were not for the off-site back-up program that we installed days before, she would have lost all her pictures, documents, music and other files that she wanted/needed.

So now she was back to square one. We spent 2 hours reinstalling all our programs on her machine, recovering her files from the remote server and putting her machine all back to the point where it was again. And we did it all for FREE. Did we have to? NO we did not. But we did because we feel that going the extra mile for a customer goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment